Monday, February 21, 2011

A Skull or Not a Skull - That Is the Question

I like skulls and I dig the Victorian and Edwardian eras, so naturally, I think skull optical illusions of these time periods are pretty gosh darn cool. The Virtual Museum of Optical Illusions even published a paperback from their exhibition titled Skull Optical Illusions. Some examples:

"All Is Vanity" by Charles Allan Gilbert, 1892.

"L'amour de Pierrot" ca. 1905

My favorite postcard ca. 1910.

To browse more antique skull and skeleton advertisements and postcards, look here.

3 comments:

  1. Can you buy prints of these? I'm thinking you should have some. Also, speaking of skulls, you forgot to blog about the AWESOMENESS that is your Xmas gift from me :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure you can get a print of the Gilbert one because it was published in LIFE. Right-o, I'll get on that blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello it's very beautiful

    ReplyDelete