Friday, February 25, 2011

Balloon Wiener Dogs

Today is Courtney's birthday (yay!) and before I mailed my belated card I felt the need to decorate it with wiener dog balloons because a) Courtney's dog Phoenix is part wiener, b) Courtney is the only person I know who can make balloon animals, and c) I had a whole bunch of crayons nearby.

The left doggy is better than the right.

If small party balloon wieners are cool, gigantic art sculpture balloon wieners are even cooler. Jeff Koons created 5 "Balloon Dog" sculptures of high chromium stainless steel with transparent color coatings in blue, magenta, yellow, orange, and red for his Celebration artwork series.

"Balloon Dog (Yellow)" spent some time on the roof of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 2008.

"Balloon Dog (Magenta)" popped up at the Palazzo Grassi in Venice in 2006.

Apparently, Koons was born in my hometown. Who knew? I sure didn't. But trying to claim intellectual property rights to all balloon dogs is a special form of douchebaggery, so let me clarify. He's from Dover (same county), the place that had that whole Intelligent Design bruhaha several years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment