Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Love You, Z!

After reading about the loss of doxie Fred and his death's similarity to the death of our previous sheltie, I started thinking about the mortality of my beloved Zadie.

When I moved into a pet-friendly apartment several years ago, I knew I wanted to get a dog. I wanted a furry best friend who would love me unconditionally. I also knew I wanted to adopt. I visited the two shelters in my area, but didn't get that "she/he's the one" feeling. Then, I looked on Petfinder and saw this picture:


Sassy, as she was named, was a 6-month-old dachshund mix living at a shelter in Smith County, Tennessee. I placed an inquiry call that day (a Thursday I believe) and arranged a visit that Sunday. Courtney's dog Phoenix and I made our way into the hollows of middle Tennessee. With dirt roads and crude wooden "street" signs I was half afraid I'd drive by two guys on a porch strumming a banjo.

I knew the moment she walked around the corner that she was the pooch for me. After giving sixty dollars and the promise of a good home, Phoenix and I took her home that afternoon.

Sure, she has a penchant for escape. Several poor souls aside from myself have experienced the chase. My roommate Courtney acted as a traffic guard when Z decided to run with traffic on our busy street; Courtney's boyfriend (at the time) pursued her across the street into the mall parking lot barefoot (at least he was good for something); my friend Katie ran after her when she slipped her collar; my uncle Mel lost his cell phone tackling her in his neighbor's yard; Ali and Dad have tracked her across the neighborhood and through the woods with ineffective food bribes.

And she has her quirks like not wanting anyone to mess with her feet. She gets her nails trimmed at the vet's because she's too difficult for me to handle with the squirming, ear-piercing yelps, and occasional piddle.

But I love the way her tongue peeks out of her mouth when it's closed as though it's too long. I love the way she whimpers, growls, and twitches during her daily dreams. I love the way she becomes an obsessive nut-case about new toys. I love that she lets me endlessly play with her ears.

On March 6th, Z will be 4 years old. My little girl's growing up fast and it scares me to know that my life expectancy is far greater than hers. So, let's make it count Zadie Sue Ellen-Zazu-Short Stuff-Sassage-Nuppy-Ginger-Falkor-Dirt Devil! I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment