Saturday, January 22, 2011

Electronics Need Love Too

I decided to try my hand at felting in the form of a kindle kozy for my aunt using Patons Classic Wool in Cognac Heather. I first knit a swatch and took measurements before and after felting to determine my gauge. Then I calculated the number of stitches and rows needed to achieve kindle dimensions in felted form. I knit in the round leaving the bottom open for stitching later and a flap at the top.


Tools for felting include a towel, tongs, measuring tape, timer, and a zippered garment bag/pillowcase (optional). With the washer set to mini load, hot wash, and heavy agitation, I let the kozy stew for two five-minute sessions, checking the felting after each one. Then I put it back in for about two minutes until I was satisfied that the stitches had disappeared, the fabric edges had stiffened, and the kozy fit the appropriate measurements.


Once sufficiently felted, I wrung out the excess hot water, rinsed it under cold water, wrung it out again and positioned it on the towel with my cardboard kindle inside and wooden spoon under the flap.


After several days of air-drying, it was time to think about embellishments. I cut leaf shapes from three green shades of eco-felt and pinned them in place.


Using antique gold embroidery floss, I attached and decorated the leaves with back and fly stitches, unintentionally stabbing myself numerous times. Once the embroidery was finished, I sewed the bottom closed with a sewing needle and thread. I also used the gold floss to attach another one of my Mamaw's upcycled buttons and cut the button hole with a utility knife.

The kozy is complete.



2 comments: