Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Book Chain

Possibly the only thing I love more than finding old family photographs is finding old family jewelry. When my grandmother moved from her home in the early 1990s, she was forced to downsize and my dad volunteered to store some of her belongings in our shed. Little did we know, there were valuable (sentimentally) pictures in there! The picture below is of the Ottemiller children: Walter, Anna Mary, and Rebecca. Anna Mary was my paternal grandmother's mother. She was born in 1886, and since she appears to be at least 1-year-old, I would guess this picture was taken in approximately 1887. Most exciting though, in another box (this one inside the house), I found Rebecca's necklace!


The necklace is a gold Victorian book chain necklace with cameo pendant from the 1880s. The name derives from the chain of book-shaped links.


Cameos are one of my antique jewelry weaknesses. Love them! I like the angular look of this cameo and the elaborate engraving on the pendant.


Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to the tassels shown in the picture. Perhaps I'll have to do another extensive search of my grandmother's belongings. Love you, Grandma. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment