Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pears' Soap

Wandering around Dollar Tree, I noticed bars of Pears' soap for sale.  Until recently, that soap brand was meaningless to me.  But it just so happens to be one of the advertisements on the back of the magazine illustration Ali gifted me last week.  Pears' is the original transparent soap and was first produced and sold by Andrew Pears in London, England in 1789.  I figure something still going strong 200+ years later is worth a try.  Apparently, in the last few years the company has adapted the pioneering formula to create a "Gentle Care" soap that has a softer texture, lasts half as long, and smells different.  I must say, the first thing I noticed was the scent, and not in a positive way.  In response to consumer complaints, adjustments are supposedly being made to mimic the original scent.  I hope they succeed.  It lathers well with lots of suds and didn't blind my eyes (always a plus).  Not bad for $1.  And interestingly, it's now made in India.

Incidentally, Dollar Tree also has the best terry cloth headband for face-washing I've come across in recent years.  It's stretchy, soft, wide, doesn't fudge up my hair if I wash my face in the middle of the day, and of course, it's inexpensive.




Other Pears' soap advertisements range from adorable (left) to super offensive (right).

No comments:

Post a Comment