Friday, July 29, 2011

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I haven't read the Twilight series and have only seen bits of the movies, yet, I felt like I was reading an adult version of the Twilight romance that made me want to yak -- And I like romance. The main characters were likeable on their own, but I had more interest in the minor characters and the plotline twists and turns. The novel is well-written and has a unique approach to the overwrought vampire/witch/daemon story; however, the use of "creature" to describe the non-human species inexplicably bothered me. Unfortunately, the author's academic professorship shows through in lectures about the practice of yoga, genetics and evolution, and obscure historical figures. However, the dialogue made me laugh out loud several times in a good, intentional way. I won't be anxiously anticipating the next installment of the trilogy, but I might read it eventually.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment