Tuesday, April 05, 2011

I Read Good

I enjoy two primary pastimes: knitting and reading.

I've known how to knit since high school and mostly taught myself, but I've never been a hard-core, consistent knitter. I go through phases. I also get easily frustrated, which is not good for a knitter. Knitting takes time and patience and I usually need something else to occupy my mind, like a movie. Much to my chagrin, I can't knit and read at the same time. Yes, yes, I know there are books on tape, but my feelings on those lie with my feelings on e-readers: NO!

I was never much of a reader in my younger days. I have a short attention span and limited will power when it comes to reading material. I've finally figured out that finding reading material I enjoy is like finding cute clothes, you have to browse patiently. I actually enjoy skimming library shelves and looking for covers that catch my eye, but I also make sure to read a few lines of text. (This is how I made the decision to not read the Twilight series.)

On a side note, I was actually voted "Most Likely To Be Found in the Library" in my high school newspaper. I don't know who "voted" because I certainly never received a ballot, but my friends and I thought this was pretty hilarious because I rarely read (unless for school). I always assumed I was assigned this label because I'm quiet and shy...unless you're my friend and then I'm quite obnoxious. :)

I haven't really read anything in a while because I was busy knitting, but just recently, I finished two books and here's a little bit about them.


Last year, I read and enjoyed Sarah Addison Allen's Garden Spells and I was equally pleased with The Girl Who Chased the Moon. All of her books have a touch of fantasy that requires some reality suspension, but they're beautifully written with good plot and characters. I cried through a lot of this novel, but not in a horribly depressing way. If you're looking for a feel-good piece of fiction, I suggest you check out Sarah Addison Allen's novels. Even Ali with her high literary standards enjoyed it. :)


I followed the aforementioned light-hearted novel with Justin Cronin's The Passage. I'm thinking maybe I should have reversed the order because this book was in no way light-hearted and I could really use a pick-me-up right about now. Basically, via failed attempts to make the ultimate soldier using a vampiric virus, the U.S. Army unintentionally spearheads the death and destruction of the North American continent. Woohoo, good times!...NOT! Obviously, there's way more to the story, considering it's 766 pages long (too long if you ask me). I was apprehensive about reading this book because of a few things Ali had mentioned to me when she read it several months ago; however, I found myself really getting into it. Whenever I read/watch apocalyptic stories, I always end up imagining myself in that position. What would I do? And then I feel really grateful that I'm NOT in that position. The end of the book sets up the beginning of the next book, but honestly, I don't know if I can handle another one. I'm exhausted.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews! I think I'll check out The Girl Who Chased the Moon. I'm still trying to get images from The Road out of my head, so I'll skip The Passage, for now. Whenever I place myself in post/apocalyptic scenarios, I never really enjoy the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome, Abby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting fact: i think I am ACTUALLY the most likely to be found in a library.... what with being a librarian. :)

    ReplyDelete