Tuesday, April 26, 2011

In case you were wondering what "avant-garde" meant...

Once again, thank you new book section at Martin Library for this serendipitous discovery. (Though my name recognition of David Levithan is owing entirely to my favorite YA librarian, Molly Krichten.)

A quick and delightful read, gender-neutral and immensely quotable, I include this quotation because it's laugh-out-loud funny (as opposed to morbidly depressing - I'm in a good mood today) and, the first of my many, many purple post-it notes.

avant-garde, adj.

This was after Alisa' show, the reverse-blackface rendition of Gone With the Wind, including songs from the Empire Records soundtrack and an interval of nineteenth-century German poetry, recited with a lisp.

"What does avant-garde mean, anyway?" I asked.

"I believe it translates as favor to your friends," you replied."



Buy the book from Amazon. Fan the author on Goodreads. Follow @loversdiction on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment