Monday, May 30, 2011

A Berry-Pickin' Good Time

At Rachel's suggestion, she and I went strawberry-picking this morning (once we found a farm that was open on Memorial Day).  We were prepared to sweat with sunscreen and bug spray, but failed to bring our own collection containers.  Oops.  Thankfully, the proprietors gave us some small cartons.  A very nice old gentleman named Harry directed us to a specific strawberry patch location and provided pleasant conversation.  (He told me rhubarb season should be ending this week, so I'd better get on that!)

The best part about strawberry-picking is testing the merchandise while you work.  Mmm, yum, strawberries off the vine are delish!  I filled two cartons of strawberries and paid $5.43 ($2.19/lb).  There are already two cartons of strawberries in the refrigerator, so I'd better be baking some strawberry shortcake and strawberry-rhubarb pie pronto.  I might be over-strawberried!  Is that possible?

Then, after I returned home, I helped Mom replant her old and new cacti into a planter that, oddly enough, came with sympathy flowers for my Mamaw's funeral years ago.  We sure know how to make a mess and I loss count of how many times Mom pricked herself on that nasty bugger with the thorns.  With a touch of pink in the decorative stones, the cactus garden turned out pretty nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment