Friday, March 25, 2011

Sci-Fi Summer

I'm not a graphic novel/comic book fan. I just can't abide all that bubble text and visual stimulation. However, the nerd in me does love science fiction and this summer brings some exciting new movies!

First up is Thor opening in the U.S. on May 6th. Since I know nothing about the Marvel comic and I'm not a pimply, obsessive 15-year-old boy (I jest), I'm not able to nitpick the inconsistencies between comic and movie. It's a movie adaptation, people! Of course there will be differences! I can't say that the trailer has me very interested though. I worry about Anthony Hopkins's presence. Will it make me hang my head in shame as I did with Liam Neeson and Rafe Fiennes in Clash of the Titans or Ben Kingsley in Blood Rayne?


X-Men: First Class comes out June 3rd. Despite my distaste for prequels (can we say Star Wars?), my favorite German Irishman Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy compel me to see this movie. Also, the fact that Brett Ratner is in NO WAY involved. There was a 3rd X-Men movie? What?! I have no idea what you're talking about....(Seriously, I've blocked it from memory.)


On July 22nd, we get Captain America: The First Avenger. I've never really given Chris Evans much thought one way or the other, but I love Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving. On a side note, the hobbitness of Chris Evans in the trailer made me giggle.


And perhaps what I am most giddy about is Cowboys & Aliens premiering July 29th! Sheer brilliance! I love cowboys and it's refreshing to see cowboy versus alien rather than the same old cowboy and indian war. Plus, James Bond and Han Solo kicking ass together?! Hell, yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment