Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Elephant Illusion Scarf

I hadn't given much thought to illusion knitting until my friend Rachel told me about her other friend's plan to make her a TARDIS illusion scarf, which is dorky but ingenious. Illusion knitting creates a pattern of raised purled stitches only visible at an angle. Sadly, I couldn't find any preexisting illusion patterns I liked, so I had to make my own.


Surprise, surprise, it's an elephant. Another shocker, I chose purple yarn. Using a size 7 needle, I alternated two rows of dark and light purple and knit 10 elephants, flipping the pattern vertically half-way, so all of my elephants will be right-side-up when I wrap the scarf around my neck. After binding off, I added some tassels for pizazz. In retrospect, I might have knit two more elephants for added length, but honestly, I hate using small needles and just wanted to finish.


Needle size: US 7, 4.5 mm
Yarn: 1 skein Bernat Satin Plum Mist Heather, 1 skein Bernat Satin Lavender

Meanwhile, I've been having fun with felting for one of my next projects. I'm making up my own pattern, so here's hoping it turns out properly. :/


No comments:

Post a Comment